The flight to SBA (Santa Barbara) was planned several weeks in advance to attend an Angel Flight meeting to become a member of their speakers bureau. The meeting was planned to start at 1000 at Atlantic Aviation.

A week before the meeting rain was forecast for day but as the date got closer the rain moved to the next day (for the NASCAR race in Ontario). The FAA forecast was for an overcast at 1500 to 2000, tops 3000 with 10 miles visibility below. An IFR flight was planned to arrive at SBA by 0930.

FUL to SBA is within the Terminal Enroute Control (TEC) structure so the route is “canned”, and it’s possible to get a “pop up” clearance. But filing IFR always smoothes the operation and gets the name, address, souls on board, etc. on file. I found my 3 year old A/FD and looked up the TEC route. But being 3 years old it might be out of date. The route ID was CSTLM21. A Google search There I could enter departure. Destination, and a/c speed (Q) and get the route. CSNLN21 (SLI.V23.LAX.V299.VTU.VTU282R.KWANG) AT 6,000’ was listed. II tossed out my A/FD.

I filed the route and added CSNLN21 in “Remarks” and waited to see what tomorrow morning would bring.

The next morning was as forecast. FUL was 2000 overcast, SBA 1400 overcast, VFR below. After breakfast with

Gary Adams (member) and Alan Cottle (MEDFLY Pilot from LosAl) we loaded up.

We were cleared as filed but I knew that was only a lost comm clearance. Where we would really go is up to ATC so I only entered LAX VTU KWANG SBA in the GNS. SBA would be replaced with the approach in use and I was hoping for RWY 25 so we did not have to vector around for the ILS 7.

Departure was 20 minutes past my planned 0830 departure, including a 5 minute delay for release from SoCal.

After takeoff it was pretty much a direct climb and clearance to 6000 over the LGB area but arriving traffic into

LAX revised our altitude to 5000. Being VFR above we saw the two airliners pass overhead. Then up to 6000

“direct LAX, depart LAX 310R”. (Never mind that V23 stuff). This is a typical so that GA goes N past LAX to avoid departures from the LAX North Complex before turning toward VTU. Apparently there were no departures

from the North side right now. Our “LAX north side” controller revised our route, “depart LAX 275’. Cool. Already

heading toward VTU. “When able proceed directed VTU.” More cool. Once we were handed off to Mugu Approach it was “direct KWANG”. Even more cool. I got the SBA ATIS and “VOR/GPS 25 approaches in use.” Even more more cool. 1400 overcast, 10 sm.

“N759UP slow to 110 knots for slower traffic ahead”. Not cool. Now over to SBA approach they vectored me SW,

away from the final approach course, I guess for spacing. Ten or so minutes later I asked if the speed restriction was still in effect, and yes it was. Cleared down to 4000 with the tops about 1000 below us. I would never see cruise speed again.

“N759UP fly 010”. Interesting, this is a 90 deg intercept angle. But at the last moment, “N759UP turn left heading 310, cleared for the GPS 25 approach….”. We entered the wet clouds. At the FAF the GNS 530 LNAV+V kicked in and I followed the simulated glide slope. We broke out about 1,400 with the airport where it was supposed to be. (Minimum was 920’ so we had vertical room to spare.) Landed on 25 following a departing Gulfstream, and parked at Atlantic Aviation at 955. There I met the guy with the C172 that was ahead me on the GPS. He was the cause of the speed restriction to 110 knots. He was there for the same meeting and had flown in from VNY.

Flight clearance was flight filed, but I only put the main NAVAIDs in the GPS, then went where I was told.

Gary flew the flight home in VFR conditions.

Share This